Welding accident causes fishing boat fire at Fairhaven Pier
The vessel formerly owned by Carlos Rafael – also known as the “Codfather” – was declared a total loss and was subsequently relaunched by the bankrupt and defunct Blue Harvest Fisheries, following a recent fire.
The Fire Department in Fairhaven, Massachusetts, said F/V Carabasset It is a total loss after welding on board caused a major fire.
“Upon arrival, heavy fire came from the pilot house aboard the 82-foot trawler,” Fairhaven Fire and EMS wrote in a statement. “Putting out a fire in F/V Carabasset It initially started with water and then switched to environmentally compatible foam. Personnel worked for about an hour before the fire was considered under control. It turned out that the welders were at the front of the fishing vessel, using a cutting torch and trying to use a fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire.
The ship was originally part of Rafael’s fleet before New Bedford, Massachusetts-based Blue Harvest. He bought the ship, formerly known as Cowboysin February 2020. Rafael was forced to sell his fishing fleet after that Admission of guilt In 2017 to fraudulent fish quotas, tax evasion and conspiracy. He later settled a civil case With NOAA forcing him to permanently stop all commercial fishing by March 31, 2020.
Then launch Blue Harvest Cowboys Under the name F/V Carabasset in August 2020, but the vessel will only serve its role in the company’s fishing fleet for a few years before that. Blue Harvest has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Move by the company It wiped out many creditors and investors, and the company and its subsidiaries were stripped of their assets – which was one of them Carrabassite.
Fairhaven Fire and EMS said the vessel’s current owner was present during the fire and that she had recently been retired from service. Most of the Blue Harvest ships were like that It won the bankruptcy auction held by C&P Trawlers, with a winning bid of US$12 million (€11.1 million).
“Mitigation of environmental issues at the port was managed by the Fairhaven Harbor Master, MA DEP and USCG,” the department said.
South Coast reported today The ship was in the process of being decommissioned and the fuel and engine had been removed. Fairhaven Harbormaster Timothy Cox told the publication that the plan was to take the ship out of service completely and sink it to become an artificial reef. The newspaper also reported that a worker confirmed that the boat belonged to C&P Trawlers.
The ministry added that no one was harmed in the fire.
This is not the first time that ex-Rafael ships have succumbed to fires or sunk. In 2018, two ships owned by a then-imprisoned fishing magnate sank at the dock. The other ships were It is said to be canceled in 2023 After sitting in the dock for years after the lawsuits against Rafael were resolved.
This story originally appeared on SeafoodSource.com and is republished here with permission.