Launching a nationwide communication and support system for fishing vessels soon

The Union Fisheries Department will soon launch a communications and vessel monitoring system for the fisheries sector that will, among other things, strengthen existing fisher safety arrangements, strengthen conservation efforts, help better collect data through the use of digital records and support the marketing of catches. With real-time information on market prices.

Union Fisheries Department sources say the ship’s communication and support system is expected to be deployed in marine fishing vessels by March. The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has developed two-way communications transceivers with local R&D efforts using the GSAT-6 satellite to cover the entire Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) up to 200 nautical miles.

The new facility will be made available to millions of mechanized fishing boats at no expense to fishermen. Sources add that the total cost of the project is over Rs 364 crore, of which 60% will come from the Union government and the remaining 40% from the state government.

ISRO has transferred the technology to Indian industries to manufacture transceivers. This technology is 100% original except for the chip which is imported as it is not manufactured in India. Earlier, 4,997 transceivers were sanctioned under Tamil Nadu’s Blue Revolution with 100% Government of India funding worth Rs 18 lakh crore in 2019.

A total of 2,745 transceivers have been provided and 1,629 devices have been installed in seven districts of Tamil Nadu (Chennai, Cuddalore, Mayiladuthurai, Nagapattinam, Thoothukudi, Chinnamuttom and Thenjapattinam) and the remaining 2,252 devices are expected to be installed by March 2024.

Ground station, data center

The new system is being launched under the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana to cover all the nine coastal states and the four Union Territories. The national launch also includes setting up a ground station and data center at the Indian National Center for Ocean Information Services in Hyderabad, a monitoring station at the Fisheries Survey of India headquarters in Mumbai, and another station at the Fisheries Department in New Delhi. . In parallel, 73 monitoring stations will be set up at various locations in all the nine coastal states and four union territories for effective coordination.

The Fisheries Department feels that the installation of the transceivers will be a boon to fishermen as the device will disseminate weather information, cyclone updates, information on potential fishing areas and alerts when crossing international maritime boundaries. Moreover, the device will also enable two-way communication, through which fishermen can establish a connection to the shore from the deep sea.

The teams visited six coastal countries to understand the structure of the fishing vessels and other aspects of the boats for smooth implementation. The visit of teams in all other states will be completed by February 2024. Permission for mass production will be granted upon validation of the prototypes by ISRO by February 2024.

This is a featured article available exclusively to our subscribers. To read more than 250 featured articles every month

You’ve exhausted your free articles limit. Please support quality journalism.

You’ve exhausted your free articles limit. Please support quality journalism.

This is your final free article.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *